Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Works for me Wednesday - Good-bye Winter Itch

If you live in Pennsylvania, you know that everything dries out in the winter including your skin. Because of this, your skin becomes very itchy. Trust me I know. With the combination of the winter itch and my belly stretching (from being pregnant), I feel like I could dig a hole in my skin from scratching.

Well as you may already know, I worked 9 years as a medical assistant in dermatology. This is what the professionals recommend to get rid of that winter itch.

  • Take 10 minutes or less in the shower. If your skin wrinkles, you have been in too long. Wrinkles (from being in the shower too long) mean dehydration.
  • Before drying off, rub baby oil or mineral oil over your skin.
  • After drying off, use a thick CREAM (Cetaphil or the drug store brand of Cetaphil is my favorite) on your skin. If it comes in a pump bottle, it is not thick enough. (Lotions are not thick enough and often times are more irritating to your skin)
  • If you can stand it, rub petroleum jelly on your skin before bed.

After taking control over your skin (or if you only have a mild itch to begin with), you don't have to continue with every step. You can usually manage it with just oil or cream.

I hope this is helpful to you. (It is also safe for babies.) For other great tips check out Works for me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I detest the winter itch and you gave me some valuable advice. Thanks.

Carol said...

I just showed up at the physical therapist's office yesterday with what I call "alligator legs." They just looked awful from the dryness. Of course, he had to take measurements of my knee, so there was no way he would NOT scrutinize the alligator legs. That I forgot to shave.

Your tips should help me avoid that next time!

Anonymous said...

I was just getting frustrated over this this morning! I'm in SC, but we've been at 30 degrees or below for a few days, and my already-dry skin is itching terribly. I will look for some thick cream.

Anonymous said...

Great tips! I used to use Baby Oil immediately after I showered and it really does work. Don't know why I stopped! :) Thanks for sharing the tips and for stopping by my blog! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

The thick cream does work well - I am using a bath and body works body butter, but I have been thinking about getting the cetaphil cream. Thanks for making me realize that I should continue to use thick creams right now - my skin is not enjoying this weather!

melissa said...

i tried this remedy this morning, and it helped immensely! Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

Jada said...

I came across your blog from Bullfrogs and Butterflies today. Just wanted to say hi! I live in PA, too! South Central.

I'm going to try your suggestions for getting rid of the winter itch. It's driving me nuts!!

Your daughter sounds adorable! I have 3 nephews and long for a niece, but I think my sisters are through having babies and with my brother not being married yet, I don't think he'll give me a niece either! Of course, I'm not giving any of my sibings any nieces or nephews! LOL

Enjoy your day,

~Jada