Monday, August 28, 2006

OUCH!!!

As you know, my little girl is 10-months-old. She is still exclusively breastfeeding. She drinks water or juice from a sippy cup, but refuses breastmilk from a sippy. Sometimes I can get her to drink 2-3 ounces of formula from the sippy cup. She does eat table foods. Now that you know her eating background, let me continue. You probably already know where this is going.

This week while on vacation, my little angel decided that it would be fun to pinch me while she eats. I would smack her hand and tell her NO. She would look at me, smile, and pinch me again. She thought it was a game. Well last night while I am feeding her, she pinched me several times and then she thought it would be fun to bite me. I smacked her cheek this time. She put out her pouty lip and cried hard. Of course, I felt bad then. We took a break from the feeding because every time she started sucking she remembered that I smacked her and started crying (at least that is what I think was going on). About half an hour later, we tried again and she bit me again, hard. OUCH!! Luckily she only has her two bottom teeth. Needless to say, she went to bed last night without a full feeding.

Please someone tell me what to do - even if it is just to give up nursing all together.

4 comments:

Janice and Dean said...

OUCH! Maybe time to start weening from breast to just sippy cup. Try mixing breast milk and formula or milk half and half. If she gets hungry enough, she will drink.

Is she on baby food?

Anonymous said...

I had a biter and I just kept making a loud unpleasant sound whenever she bit me...most of the time it worked but I still had very sore nipples for a month or so...weaned her at a year and just sort of suffered through this stage ...6 years later I've lived to tell the story!

Anonymous said...

My son is 8 months and has 4 teeth! He bit me a couple of times, so I just made sure that I had my fingers close by his mouth, so if he tried it again, I could unlatch him and pull him away and say "no, you do not bite Mommy!". That has seemed to work for me.

Anonymous said...

I know what you are going thru!!! my boy is 8 months with 6!!!!! teeth and started biting me about 2 weeks ago.. my initial reaction was to smack also and i think i did that twice with tears coming.. but since, as soon as he would go to bite or as he was biting, i'd stick my finger in his mouth, pull the nipple out, say "NO" firmly and then put him on the floor and not let him nurse anymore at that time.. that way, he'd associate biting with not getting to eat.. in 1 week he stopped!!!!!! and hasn't bitten me since.. i guess he rather get to eat then bite.. i also continue to have a pinching problem though.. but it's kind of more of a "kneading" of the breast like you would bread dough then kneading.. so now i usually just hold his hand so he can't do that.. check out my blog if you want... www.babyjacobpage.blogspot.com and good luck! becky