Saturday, November 25, 2006

My Black Friday Experience

I love shopping on Black Friday! My sister - Eileen, my mom, my mom's friend - Pam, and I have been shopping on Black Friday for several years. We usually start out around 5 a.m. and go to about lunch time. I usually get a few Christmas presents, but a lot of times I just go out to be "in it". I love to see all the crazy people that are out and listen for the "Black Friday" stories as people pass or are waiting in lines.

Well this is our story this year. Eileen, Mom, and Pam decided that they wanted to go to the outlets this year, because they were opening at midnight (I went to bed. With me being pregnant I wanted my sleep). Eileen, Mom, and Pam live in Chambersburg so the closest outlets to them are in Hagerstown, MD about 30 minutes south of them. They drove down with plenty of time to spare. As they were driving down the highway, they could see the outlets to their left. Then traffic stops. I forget how long (I think about and hour) they actually sat in traffic looking at the outlets and the mob of people going in and out of the stores. Anyhow they decided to skip the outlets and come up to Mechanicsburg to "sleep".

Mom and Pam wanted some computers from Circuit City. These computers were a really good deal but you had to be there early to get one. Instead of Mom and Pam coming to my house to sleep, they went straight to Circuit City. They were about 30th in line at 2 a.m.! Crazy ladies! Now you may wonder how long the people in front of them were there. The rumor is some of them were there since Wednesday night - they spent their entire Thanksgiving in front of Circuit City!!!!!! These people had a tent, battery operated heating device, and a tv with satellite dish.

Mom got the voucher for the computer she wanted, but Pam didn't (because they were back to far in line!). After some bartering with people in line, Pam did end up getting the voucher for her computer. The doors opened at 5 a.m. Mom and Pam checked out at 7:30 a.m.! TWO AND A HALF HOURS IN LINE TO PAY!!!!

In the meantime, Eileen came to my house to sleep a couple of hours. We got up at 5 a.m. and went to Dunkin Donuts for a doughnut and coffee. Then went to the Home Depot when their doors opened at 6 a.m. We got a couple of things in there - I can't tell you what because it is Christmas time. Then we went to pick up Mom and Pam's chairs and blankets outside of Circuit City. We window-shopped several nearby stores to waste some time. Then finally picked up Mom and Pam. The nice thing about waiting so long for Mom and Pam, by the time we got to most other stores the lines were much shorter.

We went to several other stores before our annual Olive Garden lunch. I think we finished our day around 1 p.m.

This is the first year that my family was part of the craziness of Black Friday. Usually the craziest thing we do is get started at 5 a.m. and wait in loooong lines.


Anonymous said...

That is just too cool! I am glad that you were able to go out and shop and have fun with your family!

Janice & Dean said...

You are a braver sole than I am. I do my best to stay away from stores on that day! Glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we were crazy, but a desktop with printer for $200 and a laptop for $300 was worth the wait!